Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Farewell 2008...we won't miss you...! Year in Review

2008 has finally come to an end....This year hasn't been a particularly good one for Viv & I.  It wasn't all bad, but not all good either.  We went to the Michael Buble concert, which was SO fabulous.  We celebrated my birthday with dinner at Kingyo, which is quite a good restaurant.  In March, our friends Amy and Len welcomed their daughter, Layla Lam into the world.In April, things started to get worse....I fell while, of all things, getting dressed...which caused me to hurt my back quite badly...I thought I had herniated a disc in my back.  I was bed ridden for 4 weeks, which was BRUTAL.  The worst part was, the day that I fell, was the day I found out I was pregnant (about 5 
weeks)...so I couldn't take any strong pain meds.  I spent alot of time crawling around my house...and lying in my bed.  I realized then how much we take physical mobility for 
granted.
At the end of May, Viv's maternal grandmother passed away from gall bladder cancer.  We travelled to Brunei in hopes of seeing her alive before she passed...unfortunately we missed her by a few hours.  This was a particularly sad event for Viv, since Viv lived with his maternal grandparents until in immigrated to Canada in 1989...so he was very close to them.  

The summer was spent taking Isabel to Maplewood Farm, the Zoo, the PNE and to my sister and Marty's summer house in Westport. For Hallowe'en, I knew I had to find a Care Bear costume.  If you know my da
ughter, you'll 
know she LOVES her Care Bears... I was able to find a Care Bear costume for Isabel on Craigs List...I drove to Langley to meet a woman from Chilliwack to pick up this costume...but it was worth it.  We went to the Pumpkin Patch

for the first time this year with her little buddies, Max, Austin and Christian.
In October, we also purchased our first house!  We'd been looking around for 2 years, and finally were able to find a g
ood fit for us.  The house has 3 bedrooms, a big flat yard, and a suite downstairs for my mom to move in with us (eventually).
 
In November, we celebrated Isabel's 3rd birthday with a big party with almost 30 kids at Eileen Dailly Pool.  It was such a fun party with swimming and cookie decorating, but I may think twice before having such 
a huge party again...:)  Later that month, we got some more sad news from Brunei...this tim
e Viv's maternal grandfather passed away.  I was 9 months pregnant, so I was not able to make the trip with Viv.  Viv was able to go to Brunei for a week for the funeral to say goodbye to his grandfather, with whom he was quite close.  
When Viv went to Brunei, I w
orked my last day at St. Paul's lab before my maternity leave.  Just before my last day,
 I got a new position in Laboratory Information Systems, but will not be starting my new job til I go back to work in a year.
At last we are at the end of the year, and even though the pipes in our house froze and our hot water tank broke and flooded our basement...the best thing that could happen, happened...we had our son, Nathan Makoto Tan-Ng on December 19th.  He was 6 days late, but was worth the wait, and the painful labour!
We look forward to what 2009 will bring....I will be working as a full time mommy this year during my mat leave....with 2 kids, it should be interesting...and fun, I think...(I hope!)
If you are reading this, I wish for you a happy and healthy 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment