
This morning, I made breakfast for Viv and I, as I do most Saturday mornings. (Isabel is not a big bacon & eggs girl...she's usually happy with toast or cereal). Anyways, our Saturday morning breakfast usually consists of eggs, toast, bacon or sausages, tea, juice, etc......usually the "full meal deal". Today I made turkey bacon by Butterball, in my efforts to be more "healthy". I wasn't expecting it to taste like the real, delicious, pork bacon.....but I have to be honest...this turkey bacon is gross! It's sort of "marbled", to look like real bacon...but the texture is more like bologna. Kinda rubbery...and when you cook it, it just looks like cooked rubber....:(
Now, of course, full fat real bacon is way better....but not all things that are "light" or "low fat" are bad. However, there are some food items that are just not worth sacrificing taste/flavour for it's different (as slight as it might be) health benefit. So then Viv and I were discussing...what things are NOT worth buying low fat. We came up with the following:
-non fat cream cheese (gross, looks like thick yogurt)
-non fat yogurt (this one is Viv's...he hates non-fat yogurt. I find it tolerable, but I bought him a container of Yoplait Source yogurt and he's never let me buy non fat yogurt again..)
-turkey bacon (see above)
-diet Coke (now pop in general is bad for you, but if you're gonna drink pop....don't drink this,
it's gross...if you want a better no calorie cola....go with Coke zero)
-reduced fat cheese (I find this to have a rubbery texture...similar to the turkey bacon scenario)
Now, if you are a fan of these foods, I apologize. I don't want to offend...these are just my thoughts. Of course, in an effort to be healthier, more veggies and fruits are on the menu....but when you have a hankering for bacon....just get the real stuff...it's worth the sacrifice in calories. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment